VALORIE EVERSOLE - Daily Union Reporter
SHELBYVILLE, IL. —
After hearing from the Shelbyville Works! committee regarding the city’s proposed website, the Shelbyville City Council approved several local projects.
City engineer Alan Spesard presented the bid letting for the storm sewer and resurfacing project for the alleyway behind the businesses between Morgan and Broadway streets.
The estimate for the project was $132,445 and was approved for Effingham Asphalt Company for $124,050.
The suggestion to bury utilities in the alley created a discussion among council members.
Spesard proposed that a conduit for the utiltiy lines be installed during the sewer and resurfacing project to be in place for future burial of the utility lines. Cost of burying the conduit is about $20,000.
“It would be better to install the conduit now instead of having to tear up the alley to do it later,” Spesard said.
Council member Brent Fogleman pointed out that there had not been an agreement to bury the utility lines.
“This will be a $20,000 expense if we don’t bury them,” Fogleman said.
Spesard noted that the cost of burying the conduit and the utility lines in total would be about $100,000.
“That’s too much to bury the utilities in an alley. There are utility poles on Main Street. Why do they have to be buried in the alley the alley. That’s money better spent elsewhere like the mini-park - something we’ve been talking about for years,” Fogleman said.
“If we want to upgrade the alley, we’ve got to bury the utilties to prevent tearing it up again,” said Mayor Roy Shuff.
Fogleman continued to argue that upgrading the alley was unrealistic.
“People are not going to use that parking lot (city parking at Broadway and 1st Street). They are going to drive around the block until they find a spot in front of the business.”
The council passed the project to install conduit for utilities with Fogleman with the dissenting vote.
Spesard also suggested two conduits be installed for telephone cables at a cost estimate of $8,000
Spesard reported that Phase 6 of the General Dacey Trail project has received an 80 percent federal grant for construction. The other 20 percent is donated by the Dacey Trail committee.
“No city funds are involved but it is city sponsored,” Spesard said.
Phase 6 of the trail begins on the east side of the dam from the Lake Shelbyville administration building and along Route 16 to the spillway bridge.
Spesard asked for approval of a joint agreement with the city and Illinois Department of Transportation to allow bidding. He also asked for a construction engineering agreement for a full time public employee to oversee the construction.
Both agreements were approved.
Spesard reported that Phase 7 of the trail has “experienced a lot of problems.” This section includes a 280 foot long stretch from the east railroad tracks to Washington Street. The sidewalk width needs to be extended from its 5 foot width to 10 feet to meet the recreational width standard.
“This would extend the sidewalk into the lane that is closed to traffic,” Spesard said.
He noted that they were asking for additional funds from the state. The committee received funding for the project in December 2010, but a new environmental review has taken already nearly eight months to complete.
“IDOT want the city to come up with the 20 percent match - roughly $41,000. This can be taken from the Business District funds,” Spesard said.
The council approved the match with Fogleman voting no.
Spesard reported on the resurfacing project for Hickory Street from South 5th to South 8th streets, and for Heinlein Drive to 8th Street in connection with the International Paper distribution center. He asked the council for approval for bid letting on the construction engineering oversight. He is hoping to award the project the first of May with approval from IDOT.
In other business, the council approved TIF funds for Ramsey & Sanders, Inc., for a walk-in cooler for West Main Party House.
“This is exactly what we have TIF funds for,” Fogleman said.
Fogleman suggested that the city require trash pickup be moved from the residential alleys to the streets to alleviate rutting problems in the alleys.
He asked for a public meeting on the issue at 6:30 p.m. on March 5, just prior to the next city council meeting.